Project Power AmeriCorps Program
For 25 years, AmeriCorps members have supported local nonprofits and school partners by serving as Academic Enrichment Specialists and Capacity Building Specialists across non-profits in Buncombe County. Project POWER (Putting Opportunities Within Everyone’s Reach) focuses on the areas of K-12 academic success and more recently, food insecurity.
Project Power Member Benefits
Full-Time Project POWER Members serve 1700 hours over the course of 11 months at their non-profit site and receive the following benefits in exchange for service:
- $18,000 pre-tax living stipend paid monthly
- Health Insurance
- Mileage Reimbursement at federal rates
- Childcare Assistance
- SNAP Benefits
- $6,495 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- Federal Student Loan Forbearance
- Mentorship, training, and professional development opportunities, including CPR/First Aid/AED, Conflict Resolution, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Tutoring Techniques, Volunteer Management, and more.
ProjectPOWER is funded by the N.C. Commission on Volunteerism and Community Service and the Corporation for National and Community Service. This material is based upon work supported by the CNCS under the AmeriCorps Grant. Opinions or points of view expressed in this document are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official position of, or a position that is endorsed by, the Corporation or the AmeriCorps program.